Information for UK nationals in Sweden

UK nationals living in Sweden on 31 December 2020 will need to apply to the Swedish Migration Agency for residence status.

The UK left the EU on 1 February 2020 but during the transition period, ending on 31 December 2020, EU law still applies to the UK. As of 1 January specific provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement will apply.

Under these provisions, UK nationals living in Sweden at the end of the transition period, that is 31 December, need to apply for new ‘residence status’, in accordance with the Withdrawal Agreement, to be able to continue living and working in Sweden. Anyone who is granted residence status will have the right to live and work in Sweden on broadly the same basis as an EU citizen.

Applications for residence status must be submitted to the Swedish Migration Agency by the end of September 2021 at the latest. You apply for residence status at the Swedish Migration Agency: