As a student at the Department for Biology Education you have great opportunities to go on an exchange to a large number of places in the world. Here we present a few different ways to go on an exchange. On these pages you find among other information what universities IBG has an exchange with, links to the faculty and university administered exchanges, and more.
If you've got any questions regarding exchange studies, please contact the sudy counsellors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IBG's exchange programs
As a biology student, you have the opportunity to spend part of your time during your studies abroad. IBG has an exchange programme in biology that is available for all students who fulfill the qualification requirements. As an exchange student you don’t pay any extra tuition fees. Most of our agreements are within the framework of the ERASMUS programme and gives an opportunity to study abroad at another European university during one or two semesters. You will as an exchange student also receive an ERASMUS scholarship.
IBG’s exchange programme includes both the opportunity to do courses as well as the Degree project in biology. However, the options may differ depending on the hosting University. While some of our partner universities offer only regular courses others only offer the possibility to do a Degree project, and for some both choices are possible. Most of our partner universities offer courses given in English, but the amount may vary between different universities. Generally courses at advanced level are given in English at a larger extent than undergraduate courses. The degree project can always be done in English.
Application for exchange studies within the IBG agreements
The application deadline for the following academic year (both autumn and spring semester) is February 15. However, in the summer/beginning of autumn we will announce remaining positions (if any) for the following spring. The deadline for those applications is September 15 (except for applications to Bern, KU Leuven, Leiden and Wageningen that needs to be submitted by September 1st).
The following is needed for your application:
- Academic Purpose Statement: The APS must be written in English with a maximum of 600 words and include a motivation for your choice of Country, University and courses, and the connection to your present studies and future career. Even if you apply for several universities, you should still attach only one APS. Focus your APS on your first priority choice.
- Transcript of records (from all your university studies)
- University selection for the exchange: You have the possibility to select up to four universities. List the universities in order of priority or, if you wish, prioritize all universities equally.
- Course proposal: Is needed for each university you apply to. Often only the previous year's courses are available on the partner university's websites. Make your choice from one of these courses. You will make your final choice once you have been accepted, and sometimes when you arrive at the exchange university.
In order to apply for the IBG exchange programme, start by choosing Application for outgoing students -Department specific exchanges TekNat. Later in the application, in the section ”Framework”, choose Erasmus SMS för for all partner universities except for those in Switzerland, there you instead need to select subject specific student exchange. At “Department responsible for the exchange”, choose Biology Education Centre.
Application for left over spots is open August 15 - Septemer 15.
To the following universities the positions are filled, and will therefore not be applicable for spring semester 2023: Edinburgh, Granada, Lyon, ETH Zürich, Prague and Tartu.
Deadline September 15.
To the following universities the application must be submitted by September 1st: Bern, Leiden and Wageningen
During the application period we also offer drop-in sessions on zoom, Mondays at 12:15-13:00 (22 August, 29 August, 5 September and 12 September):
In regards to Covid-19
If you meet one of the following requirements you are eligible to apply for exchange studies within the IBG’s exchange agreements:
- Students at the IBG Master programmes in Biology, Applied Biotechnology or Bioinformatics. At the time of the application, the student must have completed 30 credits, and upon departure 60 credits.
- Students with a bachelor from Uppsala University can apply for exchange studies from year one at the master program.
- Students at the Master's Programme in Molecular Biotechnology Engineering, beginning year 4 with completed courses from the first five semesters.
- Students in the Bachelor programme in biology with completed courses of at least 60 credits from the first two years, of which at least 45 credits are in biology. We recommend bachelor students to apply for exchange studies for their third year.
- Students at the teachers programme with completed biology courses equivalent to the given set of basic courses within the programme.
- Students at Uppsala University with the equivalent knowledge from individual courses.
Master students who have completed their bachelor at Uppsala University are prioritized.
General exchange programme
Uppsala University has general exchange programmes with many universities on all continents. If you want to study outside Europe, please contact the International Office at Uppsala University, who arranges these exchanges. There are also exchange programmes with several European universities other than those in IBGs exchanges.
You can write your thesis abroad, either in an exchange programme, or as an external thesis within the programme. In both cases you must discuss with the coordinator in advance.
Exchange programs within the Faculty of Science and Technology
The Disciplinary Domain of Science and Technology has a few exchanges in engineering/science in Europe.
Eight nations in the Nordic and Baltic countries are members of Nordplus. Scholarships both at bachelor and master level can be applied for twice a year (September and January). With this program you can for instance go to Copenhagen and Svalbard. Please contact the International office for applications.